FLEAS CONTROL SERVICES PERTH
What do they look like?
- Size: Fleas are small, wingless and about 2.5 mm long.
- Color: Their bodies are shiny and reddish brown in color, covered with microscopic hair and are compressed to allow for easy movement through animal fur.
- No wings: Fleas do not have wings, although they are capable of jumping long distances
How Did I Get Fleas?
Flea infestations often come from a pet dog or cat. The pests attach to the animal when it’s outside, and then infest its fur and the places it sleeps indoors. Flea prevention for both the home and yard can be difficult. Without a proactive approach, any pet owner is vulnerable to an infestation..
How Serious Are Fleas?
Flea bites may leave the host with numerous swollen, itchy marks. They may cause allergic reactions in some people and can transmit several diseases. Furry pets are the most at risk. Fleas can bite people and pets and can be a big nuisance.
The most serious aspect of a flea infestation is often the time and effort it takes to remove. Dealing with the problem requires treating infected animals, cleaning flea-infested areas, and taking preventative measures to keep the fleas from returning.
Tips for Control
Controlling a flea infestation successfully requires four steps:
- Preparation for treatment
- Treatment of pets
- Treatment of the inside premises
- Treatment of flea activity sites outside
Obviously, the pet is critical to minimizing flea infestations, and regular grooming helps to limit fleas on the pet. For this reason, customers need to keep the pet groomed and treated with on-animal flea control products. Consult your veterinarian for assistance in treating your pets for fleas and ticks.
Step One. Any flea extermination will be less effective if the home is not prepared properly by completing the following steps:
- Remove all items, such as toys, clothes and pet food from all floors
- Wash or replace pet bedding.
- Vacuum all carpets and rugs thoroughly, including beneath beds and upholstered furniture.
- Clean all wood, tile and linoleum floors by sweeping and mopping.
- Clean concrete floors with soap and water in the garage, basement or enclosed patio where pets rest or stay.
- Remove all pets including birds and reptiles. Cover fish tanks with a damp towel and turn off the air pump. (Note: saltwater tanks cannot have pumps disconnected.)
- Replace any pet bedding outdoors and make all shaded areas, crawl spaces, etc. available for treatment.
- Arrange to be out of the home for several hours until the treatment has thoroughly dried.